Player and Parent Handbook for Inter Atlanta FC Academy/Select Program
Welcome to the IAFC family! As a member of Inter Atlanta FC Academy or Select Program, you will be a part of a new wonderful community of players and parents. As a member of this program, you will play other clubs in the metro area of Georgia and other associations throughout the state. We are truly grateful you will be joining our community, but please take this honor as a serious commitment. The club hopes to share with you our ideals and we hold you to the highest standards when representing yourself and the club.
IAFC believes that all children have the right to play soccer in a safe and rewarding environment, in a manner that is free from criticism and ridicule from teammates and where every team will have qualified and compassionate leadership and coaching that prepares them for full participation in soccer, at a level commensurate with their maturity and ability. All children will be treated with dignity, and have an equal opportunity to strive for success. Above all, we believe that every child should have fun playing soccer.
Player Conduct and Commitment:
- All players are to respect themselves, their teammates, their coaches, their opponents, and the referees at ALL times.
- Players are to have fun and be encouraging to each other being gracious when they win and gracious when they lose.
- Player conduct at the fields should be done in a dignified manner with no negativity towards teammates or opponents.
- Players will make every effort to attend all training sessions and games being there on time and focused.
- Players will not distract other teammates at practice or at games, and will listen to the coach or referee when directed.
Players will commit to the team for the entire seasonal year (fall and spring) in order to be respectful of the commitment made.
Soccer Games are as exciting for some parents as they are for the players. We want to make sure that all parents support the team, support the players, and encourage the children!
Parent Conduct and Commitment
Parental support is an important foundation of the Inter Atlanta FC program. Parents must make a commitment to support their children in their soccer efforts. They must reinforce the importance of the commitment made by their children and help the child fulfill their commitment. This is crucial to the overall learning process for our players.
To help our children get the most out of competitive sports, we need to encourage them that although winning the game is important, being a winner in life is more important. We must help them to make every effort to learn and improve and refuse to let mistakes (or fear of making mistakes) stop them. Let your child know you appreciate it when he or she tries hard even if unsuccessful.
Recognize hard work and let the coaches’ critique their play. Encourage them regardless of what happens in the game.
It may seem like an out of date concept today, but we are GOOD sports.
We don’t bend the rules to win we respect the letter and spirit of the rules.
A worthy opponent is a gift that forces us to play to our highest potential. We try our hardest to win but not at the expense of demeaning our opponent.
We treat officials with respect even when we disagree.
We never do anything that would embarrass our team.
We try to live up to our own standards regardless of what others do.
Be a good role model. Honor the game when you attend games and encourage the parents to honor the game.
- IAFC soccer should be a positive experience for your child, and we urge you to be a parent, not a coach. Resist the urge to critique.
- Encourage, do NOT criticize players.
- Be respectful to your child’s coach and to the officials! Do not confront coaches or officials in front of players. If an issue arises with a staff member, make the time to discuss the matter at an agreed date.
- Please be kind and courteous in your cheering for all teams and players.